Monday, December 31, 2012

All Hail King Joel


It all came down to the Packers versus Vikings game. If the Vikings won, Joel would be crowned King of the Pool. If the Packers won, Jarrett M. would be the champion.

With 2:54 remaining, the Packers scored a touchdown to tie game, and a mighty roar was heard from Fredericton, NB. In East Aurora, NY, Joel jumped to his feet in celebration as Adrian Peterson rushed for a 26-yard gain with only 24 seconds left on the clock, setting up a game-winning field goal.

The field goal was good! All hail King Joel!

After years of seeing his brother and even his father hoisting the Pool Championship Trophy, this victory tastes awfully sweet for Joel. And this championship now makes him a solid candidate for the Football Pool Hall of Fame.

How is Jarrett M. taking the heartbreaking loss? Here's what he had to say during his post-week 17 press conference: "JOEL IS WHO I THOUGHT HE WAS! NOW IF YOU WANT TO CROWN HIM, THEN CROWN HIM! BUT HE IS WHO I THOUGHT HE WAS!!! AND I LET HIM OFF THE HOOK!!!"

11 comments:

Jonathan McLeod said...

Is there a bonus points controversy brewing? Jarrett M. had the most wins, but Joel wins due to more bonus points.

Anonymous said...

Ray Rice gives out bonus points...Im sure all those years Joel had best percentage but no bonus points there was no controversy.

Anonymous said...

Crown him if you want- as for me and my household we will serve the Lord.

Jonathan McLeod said...

Just so everyone knows, the points controversy comment was just a joke. Anonymous (put your name on it!), what do you mean by "best percentage"?

Anonymous said...

Sanchez killed me with 4 int's and a fumble. Idiot.

-Jarrett

Jonathan McLeod said...

Jarrett M. or R.?

Anonymous said...

Joel was able to see my weeks' picks on two different occasions late in the season. I sent them to the Pool email. I was going out of town and figured this was the easiest way to insure that I got my picks in on time and that no one thought I cheated by sending them late. No doubt Joel looked over these picks and made the necessary adjustments to his. So he may have officially won the pool, but...

-Jarrett

Patrick said...

Seriously I only have myself to blame - I started the season with three assumptions which sucked away potential points and bonus points: 1) Detroit was a playoff contender (I was 8-8 with Detroit), imagine if I could have picked them right 3 more times? 2) Carolina was a contender - well I bailed on this early and they played spoiler on me in the last 4 weeks, 3) Kansas City had a shot at their division - I had a loner on week 1 with KC and it cost me points and a share of bonus points - --- I did pick up on Minnesota with 12-4 record picking them so imagine how this could have gone.....BUT Joel deserved it - I found it very hard this year to get bonus points with Roger and Reaume taking away what would have been my loners and all the ties you had to win outright. If Joel won it on bonus points then all the more respect for him because he didnt ever go out on "Kurt limb" to do it. - Patrick

Patrick @yesisaiditfirst said...

Is Joel visiting Stonehedge in that picture? Is it King Joel II?

Joel said...

That picture is a castle somewhere in Wales from 2006. I don't remember the crown, though.

Detroit almost killed me. I realized almost too late that I had to go back to my old strategy of pretty much assuming they'd lose.

I have the opportunity, if I would like to cheat, to go over the picks any week ahead of time, because I know the link to the spreadsheet. But I never have, and I don't really know how it would help anyway. I don't think it would affect my picks at all. I think this is true for most of us. I pick as I think the games will go, not based on how I think others will pick. Again, I assume most of us do that.

Do I have to retire from the pool now?

- Joel

Jonathan McLeod said...

I will vouch for Joel's honesty (even though some will not do the same for me after my harmless spreadsheet prank during a past season).