Monday, October 17, 2011

Week 6 - Sofa So Good for Couch

Week 6 Results

This week's winner:








John - 11-2 (+3)
Jeremy - 10-3 (+0.75)
Joel - 10-3 (+0.75)
Jonathan - 10-3 (+0.75)
Roger 10-3 (+0.75)
Bob - 9-5
Jarrett - 8-5
Patrick - 8-5

I repeat: SOMEBODY STOP JOHN!

Once again, John is this week's winner. Somehow the crucial games always seem to go his way. What's his secret? Superior prognostication skills or his collection of four-leaf clovers and horseshoes?

Roger almost served a second straight ace. Meanwhile, Jeremy is quietly inching his way toward second place. Patrick needs to return to his early season form. Perhaps he should make more use of his Sunday Ticket package ("I've got all the games!") and turn his rec room into a film room. What about Bob? Unfortunately for him, he was on the wrong side of both of the crucial games.

It looks like Jarrett is already in desperation mode, but I think it's a bit early to be throwing Hail Marys. Personally, I'm trying to remain patient. John's due for a couple of bad weeks in a row, right? RIGHT?

Inspired by John's mini-rant on Joel's "Joel recap," some of the pool members had a little fun with Joel's spreadsheet. Perhaps Joel felt the rebuke was warranted since he has not yet deleted the comments.


Is this picture a foreshadowing of the season-ending exchange between Joel and John, if John wins? (I said "if.")

--Jonathan

Well, I thought I was doing well in week 6. The difference between me gaining on John and John gaining on me was a late Fitzpatrick pick. But that's what John gets paid the big bucks for--he knew the pick was coming; I didn't.

Best pick of the week: Niners over Lions.

Worst pick of the week: Vikings over Bears.

Critical game of the week: Bills at Giants.

I got to see the Lions, Niners and Bills play this week. One thing I observed: these teams have pretty good records, but I think that's got to be because all of the other teams are getting worse. I didn't see any of them play particularly well--certainly not well enough to warrant their nice records.

--Joel

Current Standings

9 comments:

yesisaiditfirst said...

"I repeat: SOMEBODY STOP JOHN!
Once again, John is this week's winner. Somehow the crucial games always seem to go his way..."

Do I detect an anti-John bias in the blog writing?

To answer the question "what is his secret" just roll the tape - John picks the best team in every one of those games and does not hedge.

Houston with no Andre Johnson was no longer the better team over Oakland and really Kansas City is the better team over Indianapolis this season. Philly is still better than Washington and honestly who has a better chance at the Superbowl appearance Buffalo or NY Giants? I thought so...

Best team doesnt always win but they normally do.

Jonathan McLeod said...

I am anti-anyone who is ahead of me--especially someone with such a large lead.

Thanks for revealing John's secret. I will now pick the better team each game.

Jonathan McLeod said...

Joel thought John might gain on him? Is John close to lapping the field?

yesisaiditfirst said...

John did gain on him - he extended his lead over Joel (and everyone else)

Jonathan McLeod said...

John increased his lead. To me, gaining on someone means that person is ahead of you and you are gaining ground.

John C said...

Maybe when you get more than one week ahead of someone you "lap" them.

John C said...

Is there someone in the pool who isn't picking the best team to win?

Jonathan McLeod said...

I actually think Jarrett has not been picking the best teams in all the games, hoping to get lucky and gain ground. He's picked against New England the last two weeks--and he's a Patriot fan!

Jonathan McLeod said...

This week's title is in the running for "best pun of the year."